Clothier Street was the original main street of Kemptville. The first homes and businesses were along this street, and the first mill was on this side of the river above the bridge. The corner of Rideau Street marks the line between Lot 26 and Lot 27, Con. 3, Oxford-on-Rideau Township. To the east lay the lands bought by Lyman Clothier, and to the west were those granted to Elijah Bottum. As the village grew in the 1830’s, a few homes and businesses were started on the west side of the line. But it was when much of what is now Clothier Street west was granted to the Anglican parish of St. James for its support that settlement started moving along the west side of the village. A few businesses continued to operate from homes, but Clothier West became primarily a residential area. Many of the village’s leading citizens built homes here, though most later moved to the newer and more prestigious area of Prescott Street in the later nineteenth century.