Winter weather sometimes sends us indoors bundled up next to the fire. But winter is prime time for getting out and exploring Kemptville and the hamlets of North Grenville! Why not make the best of it with this list of fun winter experiences!
Set out on Foot or Fat Bike on the Winter Trails
Snowshoeing, cross country skiing, biking and when the conditions agree, even hiking through the forest on one of the North Grenville Trails is a great way to get out for some fresh air and vitamin D during the winter months.
Photo: Joseph R. Pearce
- Check out the local North Grenville Snowshoe/Trail Stomper Facebook Group for the latest trail conditions and meet up events.
- The Kemptville Winter Trail (KeWi) is a groomed multi-use winter trail in the town of Kemptville, where community residents and visitors can cross-country ski, snowshoe, hike or ride a winter fat bike. Ferguson Forest Centre has partnered with Kemptville Disc Golf Club and Kemptville Winter Trail to offer a three-season disc golf course (spring thru fall), and multi-use groomed trails in winter. Both are for all ages and free to use.
❄️ To access the trail, enter Ferguson Forest Centre from Anniversary/Honour Way, off County Rd. 43 and park at Arboretum/Dog Park.
If you are using trails in the winter, as always watch for snow machines when sharing the trails and use at your own risk.
Prefer a cozy night in a warm drinking hole with melodic tunes in the air? Check out our events calendar for an updated listing of live music in the area.
Warm up at Grahame's Bakery
In operation since 1885, the heritage wood-burning oven is now on its third generation of Grahame family bakers. Step in from the cold into the toasty warm bakery for some decadent treats. Grahame's still uses the original recipes to make breads, butter tarts, apple fritters and cookies. They make everything the old way, because at Grahame’s Bakery the old ways have never changed. Please note - cash only.
Build a Snowman and go sledding in Ferguson Forest!
Not only does Ferguson Forest offer the forested dog park, but the arboretum offers a great spot to take the little ones down the sledding hill.
Most suitable for preschoolers, the sledding hill is an easy climb for little legs and a gentle slide down. Take some time to build a snowman and maybe pop onto one of the trails near Anniversary park. The kids will love the Turtle trail, traveling by the water, or the Kinder Trail to learn about the local animals in their natural habitat.
Book a Romantic Getaway
Isn't it lovely to spend a night away from home with your special someone? Kemptville offers several overnight accomodations including the luxury Kemptville Suites and the newly renovated Best Western Hotel (pictured below).
Get out for some skating
Skate at the municipal centre nearly every day of the week! Don’t have skates? No worries! You are able to borrow skates and helmets at the rink. See skating times here.
It’s still too warm yet (yes, it’s going to get colder) for outdoor rinks to be open, but look forward to skating in the great outdoors in the new year.
- Watch in February for the special outdoor rink on the South Branch River (Kemptville Creek) Parking and access from Curry Park in Downtown Kemptville!
- The sweet hamlet of Bishop's Mills offers an outdoor skating rink. Find details on the Bishop's Mills Community Rink Facebook Page.
Hit the Skidoo Trails
Whether you're out for a weekend long excursion, a day trip or just a couple hours with the kids, you won't need to travel the same trail twice in North Grenville! With so many to choose from you can take new trails all day long and never need to backtrack!
- Click for interactive trail maps for North Grenville.
- Don't miss Stinson's gas by the Southbranch River and lunch at the Kemptville Family Restaurant on County Road 43 in Kemptville
- The Kemptville Snowmobile Klub grooms trails throughout the municipality. Follow their Facebook page for all the latest.
- You can also follow the Limerick Forest page for news and updates on Limerick Forest trail conditions.
*Please note, when riding through Ferguson Forest, please stick to the designated OFSC trails. Last year Ferguson Forest Centre reported significant damage to its tree nursery fields and the Xcountry ski club also reported damage it its groomed trails. We are happy to welcome snowmobiles in North Grenville on the designated trails! Stay warm and stay safe!
Photo by Diane Schmitz
Step out for a wintertime event!
Comedy Date Night
When was the last time you went out to see live music? How about a comedy show, or a DJ dance party? An upcoming event in Kemptville will offer all three. This is a fundraiser for the North Grenville Community Fund. Proceeds go back into the community.
Come on out to the annual Comedy Date Night with superstar headliner DEREK SEGUIN !!
- Saturday, November 27
- Doors open at 5:30 pm
- NG Municipal Centre Also LIVE STREAMED ONLINE.
- Live Music at 6 pm,
- Comedy headliner Derek Seguin at 8 pm
- DJ Dance Party at 9 pm.
- Ticket price $55 per person available online at Eventbrite
- Purchase your tickets here: https://northgrenvillecommunityfund.com/event/comedy-date-night/
Kemptville Farmers' Market - Jack Frost Fair
- Sunday November 28th and Sunday December 5th
- Noon to 4 p.m.
- Outdoors on the B & H Grocery parking lot, 200 Sanders St in Old Town, Kemptville
- Admission is a Food Bank donation, goods or monetary.
- Proceeds from vendor table sales will be divided between House of Lazarus and Big Sky Ranch. Snow date is Dec. 12th.
Shop many of your favourite KFM vendors and a host of others! Browse everything from handicrafts to home baking and seasonal decor. You’ll find ethnic cuisine, hot drinks and soup, and yummy goodies of every kind. Musical duo Two for the Road will provide entertainment!
Parking available at on site.
Photo: Johnston Brothers Tree Farm
Family Fun at Johnston Brothers Tree Farm
Start a family tradition with an annual visit to Johnston Brothers Tree Farm to pick the perfect holiday evergreen! For over 65 years, the Johnston family owned business has been growing Christmas and landscaping trees for families in Eastern Ontario. Cut your own tree and enjoy a horse-drawn wagon ride!
- 2853 Porter Road, North Grenville
- Starting from November 27, 2021, 9 am to 5 pm on weekends
- Starting from November 29th, 2021, 1 pm to 5 pm on weekdays
Weekend wagon rides:
- December 4 and 5
- December 11 and 12
Downtown Christmas Promenade
Saturday December 11th, 11am to 3pm, Prescott St Kemptville
Join us on Prescott St in Downtown Kemptville for the most magical event of the year! On Saturday December 11th from 11am to 3pm, enjoy the following festive activities:
- 11:00am Story Time with Mayor Nancy.
- 11:15am Live music starts.
- Christmas artisan market.
- Horse-drawn wagon rides.
- Children's activities and entertainment.
- Burn barrels to keep warm.
- The North Pole featuring Santa Claus.
- Carolers singing Christmas music.
Extra Parking available at Riverside Park.
Kemptville Winter Carnival
Early February (watch for updates as they develop)
Kemptville's first annual Kemptville winter carnival is scheduled for early February! This fun, family event will take place over a wintery weekend and will focus on enjoying the outdoors!
Join us on the South Branch of the Rideau River (Kemptville Creek) rightin downtown Kemptville! Along with “free access” to our natural waterway for skating, hockey, and other winter weather activities, this will be a weekend of music, food and creating memories.
Programming will span from day to night and will include many entertaining shows, and events.
More details and programming will be announced soon!