38 Main Street, Bishops Mills, Lot 3 Concession 9
Township of Oxford-on-Rideau (now North Grenville)
Being Lot 15N Main Street, Plan 8 Village of Bishops Mills
The Bishops Mills Community Hall is recommended for designation as being of architectural and historical value. This one-storey brick building was constructed in 1878 as a temperance hall by the Independent Order of Good Templars. These halls sprang up across Ontario in the latter half of the nineteenth century to combat the perceived problem of excessive drinking.
The hall served as a meeting place for this fraternal order until the turn of the century when temperance societies went out of fashion. In 1926, title to the property and building was granted and conveyed to Grantees “for the use and purpose of the Community in General for a Community Hall”. The building has since been used extensively by local residents for meetings, concerts, dances, parties. card parties, summer fun programs, historical displays, and other special community events.
Architecturally, the building is an outstanding example of a late nineteenth century vernacular, temple-fronted institutional structure. It is highlighted by segmental-arch headed window and door openings; sash windows; double (four-panel) front doors with thumb latch hardware; cut rough-coarsed stone foundation; calcite date-stone over the front door with inscription “Temperance Hall AD 1878 J. Wilson Builder”.
The building is clad in common-bonded red brick with contrasting marl-brick detailing the label mouldings over the door and window heads; engaged corner pilasters and belt coarse. The brick window sills are a recent replacement of original wooden sills.
The interior of this building is not included as part of this designation.