23 Grenville Street, Burritts Rapids
The Burritt’s Rapids Community Hall on Grenville Street is designated as being of architectural and historical value. The building was constructed in the early nineteenth century as a general store. It was owned by a local merchant, John French, in 1862.
Architecturally, this one and one-half storey frame building is an outstanding example of an early nineteenth century vernacular temple-fronted commercial structure, of the Classical Revival style. It is clad in narrow feather-edge clapboard and is highlighted by recessed paneled front doors, large commercial style front windows, with paneled surrounds, engaged pilasters, with classical entablature, returned eaves and small 12 over 8 upper sashes. The building has one gable on the south side. The present modern roofing and furnace flue are excluded from this statement.