Oxford Station

The former Township of Oxford-on-Rideau got its name to distinguish it from Oxford County. The first settlers of Oxford wereThe former Township of Oxford-on-Rideau got its name to distinguish it from Oxford County. The first settlers of Oxford werethose who served the British during the American Revolutionary War. Those who received 200 acre grants in 1802 includedAndrew Yonge, Captain Hugh Munro, Ensign William Lampson, David Brakenridge, Nick Fulman, John Hickey and AlexBeckstead. Later pioneer families included Adams, Bovairds, Cooks, Gordons, Gardners, Jones Johnstons, McGoverns,Whaleys and Whalens.The earliest record of postal service was in 1866 when Andrew Holmes was appointed Post Master. He was succeeded byW.J. Black in 1882.The history of Oxford Station is largely entwined with the history of two families, the Blacks and the Sandersons. JamesSanderson built a cheese factory in 1899 and went on to built Eastern Ontario’s first cold storage plant in 1930. James andhis son Stanley went on to become the largest exporters of cheese in Eastern Ontario to the United States and Great Britain,as well as shipping throughout Canada.

Image is not available
1. General Store - 2110 County Road 20

The first general store and post office on this site was a log structure. The Cooks sold the log building and business to Miss Ann Jane Black. In 1899 Miss Black had the present building constructed. She married James Alfred Sanderson that same year. It housed the post office, general store and family residence. The building is one and a half storey timber frame construction with clapboard siding.

Image is not available
2. Black Homestead - 955 Black Road

Henry and Nancy Black emigrated from Ireland c. 1843. The first homes on the property were of log construction. Their son William married Elizabeth, had 10 children and worked the farm with his father. Their children included Simon and Ann Jane. Simon married Louella and had 9 children. The stones were gathered from the fields and piled in rows to form fences still seen today. The stone house was built in 1887. William died shortly thereafter at the age of fifty seven, leaving behind nine children between 21 and 4. The oldest child, Ann Jane built the store on the corner of the property. In 1907 Simon added a large stone kitchen with a bedroom and bathroom above. The house remained in the Black family until 1972.

Image is not available
3. 'Little Tom' Sanderson - 952 Black Road

Little Tom Sanderson was the brother of James A. Sanderson. Together with his wife ‘Aunt Minnie’, he farmed this land for many years.

previous arrow
next arrow
previous arrownext arrow
Slider

Visitor Information

  • 613-258-9569 ext. 162

    This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

     

    Municipality of North Grenville

    285 County Road #44, PO Box 130
    Kemptville, ON
    K0G 1J0

     

Visitor Guide

View PDF

Upcoming Events